How can taking care of one's self have anything to do with business? As a business owner, you work hard; most likely you work harder than you ever did as an employed person. This is especially true during your first years in business. As such, it's important to take the time to recharge your batteries. Here are some suggestions for you:
- Vacation. There is no question, getting away is the best way to recharge. While many of us may not be able to get away for 2-3 weeks, consider several mini-vacations or even a staycation.
- Read a book that has nothing to do with medicine, nursing, health or business. Totally get away from your everyday work and immerse yourself in something completely unrelated.
- Consider taking an afternoon to go to the movies, visit a gallery, or meet your friends for coffee and conversation.
- Take up a new hobby this summer. Perhaps you've wanted to learn to paint, play an instrument, or kayak.
- Have a picnic under the stars. August is great month for Meteor showers.
- Like to camp, but short on time? Consider camping in your backyard.
- Take a morning off and go for an early morning hike. It's a great time to watch the wildlife and can feel decadent while you sip your morning coffee/tea and others are scurrying off to work.
- Is there something you do just for special occasions? Great! make yourself the special occasion and treat yourself.
- Attend some summer CE opportunities in a new location. While work related, it still gets you out of the office and a chance to network with others while allowing time for sightseeing.
Taking time to recharge your batteries is essential for the business owner. It gives you fresh perspective, new ideas, allows your creativity to be in full production and prevents burnout. You owe this to yourself as well as your patients. After all, how often do you encourage them to participate in self-care? It's time for the healer to heed his or her own words. Taking some time to yourself to recharge and relax will not only help to keep you healthy, it will also keep your practice healthy. Your staff and patients will notice and appreciate the fact that you follow your own healthy advice.
Ready to become a Nurse Practitioner business owner? Then I would like to invite you to claim your free instant access to the audio replay our popular teleseminar, “Getting Started in Your Own Practice”, when you visit NP Business.
Not only will you get access to over an hour of content that will assist you in getting started, but you’ll also be subscribed to Progress Notes: Business Tips for Entrepreneurial Clinicians.
About the Author: Barbara C. Phillips, NP is the founder of NP Business™ and Nurse Practitioner Business Owner™ and works with NPs to get started and grow their own business. To sign up for "Progress Notes", weekly business tips in your inbox, and to claim your gift just for reading, visit NP Business Tips or her blog at NP Business. Feel free to add your comments in the forum, the Facebook page or on my NP Blog.
Nurses, if you enjoy writing on nursing career, education or lifestyle related issues and are interested in becoming a NurseTogether.com contributor, please click here.