A nurse’s life can be incredibly busy - so busy that it feels like you are in a race most of the day and can’t slow down. By the end of the day, however, it can feel as if you are dragging your feet across the finish line.
Nurses often expect their body to run like a Ferrari while only giving it half gasoline and half water. Consider your body a top machine that needs top fuel to keep it running smoothly throughout the day, so that you not only make it through the day, but you finish feeling strong. Stick with these five tips for fueling your sports car and I guarantee you will feel more energy throughout the day and until the very end.
- Stay away from sugar. Sugar causes your body to experience quick energy, but that energy will quickly crash and you will feel less energy than before. Resist those donuts and cup cakes at work and bring a healthy snack alternative instead.
- Combine a low-fat protein with a complex carbohydrate for a snack. The carbohydrate will bring your energy level up quickly, and the protein will keep the energy sustained so you don’t feel a crash in your energy level later. Good examples of some healthy snacks are apples with peanut butter, low-fat cheese with whole-grain crackers, a handful of nuts and dried fruit or a low-fat yogurt with some granola sprinkled on top.
- Eat throughout the day. Don’t wait until you’re absolutely starving to eat but instead eat about every two hours to keep the fuels burning evenly throughout the day.
- Don’t overeat. The number one energy zapper is when we eat too much. Keep meals in moderate portions and make sure there are a variety of foods on your plate with vegetables being the main feature.
- Get enough sleep and exercise. In order to improve and maintain the mechanics of your body, it is important to train it so that it can perform optimally when needed, but then be sure to also give it the recovery time it needs to restore and rebuild.
Nurses, if you are interested in losing a few pounds and getting healthy, try Alice Burron’s Four Weeks to Fabulous Challenge, a free super-simple program that guides you to lose weight and feel great!
The challenge begins Tuesday, May 1, 2012 and ends Monday, May 28, 2012.
The Challenge: Join the NurseTogether community and commit to four weeks of:
- Eating the five fruits and vegetables five out of seven days a week.
- Exercising thirty minutes five out of seven days a week.
- Choosing one health habit each week and accomplishing that habit five out of seven days a week.
Register here by April 25th and you will be sent a Four Weeks Challenge Calendar to track your progress. You’ll also be able to purchase the accompanying book “4 Weeks to Fabulous Challenge” for $15.95 and free shipping!
In this book you will find:
Each participant will also receive a weekly healthy e-newsletter with tips to keep you going strong!
If you complete the challenge, your name will be put into a drawing to win a Fitbit, a wireless activity and sleep tracker.
The deadline to register is April 30th, so register today!