I admit to a boring life filling my off-hours thumbing through Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary. It just wouldn’t be right to learn these interesting words and not share.
Did you know them?
- Abduct – movement of a limb away from the body
- Accommodation – self-adjustment of the eye muscles to improve focus
- Arcade – anatomical structure composed of a series of arches
- Asteroid – star shaped
- Atlas – the first cervical vertebra
- Attic – a recess in the middle ear
- Attitude – bodily posture or position
- Audition – ability to hear
- Axis – the second cervical vertebra
- Babygram - a complete x-ray of an infant.
- Baffle - part of an aerosol nebulizer treatment.
- Barn - a unit of measure in Chemistry and Physics.
- Bingo card - packaging of medications in blister packs.
- Body work - treatment for relieving stress or pain such as a massage.
- Bossing - bulging of the front of the skull.
- Butterfly - a type of bandage or needle.
- Calculus – a stone
- Camera – a chamber or cavity
- Caput – the head
- Chunk – a single unit of memory
- Cleavage – a term for the division of a fertilized egg
- Click – an abnormal heart or joint sound
- Cluttering – a disorder of speech fluency
- Commitment – confining a patient without their consent
- Compensation – overcoming malfunction of an organ by increasing function of another
- Complement – a group of proteins in the blood that aid in immunity
- Constitution – functional habits of the body
- Convert – changing an abnormal heart rhythm to a normal one
- Corona – any structure resembling a crown
- Crackle – abnormal lung sounds
- Crypt – a small cavity in the skin
ANY OTHER INTERESTING WORDS YOU'D LIKE TO SHARE?
Comment them down below!